Saturday, January 31, 2009

Moroccan Bean Soup

Recipe #2: Moroccan Bean Soup in the Crockpot

I found this recipe here, but made a few of my own changes. I love eating soup for lunch - first because it's a no brainer in the morning, and second because my morning school doesn't have a lot of heat and soup warms me up!

Ingredients:
-1 package of "Soup Mix" beans (soaked overnight)
-1 onion
-6oz carrots (about a cup)
-125g celery (about a cup)
-100g green beans (about a cup)
-2 garlic cloves
-28oz can of tomatoes (and their juice)
-4 cups chicken broth
-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ginger

Directions:
1) Chop up all the veggies and throw them in the crockpot with all of the other ingredients.
2) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or however long it takes for the beans to soften.
3) Before serving, blend up some of the beans and veggies in the blender, and add them back into the soup to make it creamier.

Nutritional Information:
This made 8 large servings of soup. Each serving is about 245 calories (45g carbs, 14g protein, 0.6g fat). A little higher in carbs than I'd like, but what can ya do! It's definitely not my favourite soup, but it'll do. And sorry, I couldn't seem to take a picture that makes it look appetizing!

1 comment:

  1. Now that looks good. And what fibre and protein! Fantastic!

    Good to see you breaking out the crock pot too. Its a life saver - I swear!

    ReplyDelete