Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Case of the Thursdays

1) Thursdays make me tired. It's my favourite school day (2 preps!) and so close to the weekend, but by Thursdays I am dead tired.

Okay, enough complaining. Today I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to a book club meeting I found on meetup.com. I've been looking for a book club to join and none of my friends here seem like big readers, so I figured I'd give meetup a try. I'm glad I did! It was fun!

We went out for dinner at a Thai restaurant, had a really good discussion, and I met some nice girls. It's different for me to actually "think" about a book I read. I mean, I think about the story a little bit, then move on. I rarely, if ever, think about the themes, underlying messages, and reasons why I liked the book or not. I usually just think, yeah, that was good.. okay, next! So this was a nice change and I'll definitely go again!

The book, by the way, was called Mudbound, by Hillary Jordan. I thought it started off a little slow, but really picked up. The average rating given was 8/10, so if you're looking for an interesting book, read this one! (1940's, war, poverty, racism).

2) I am excited about this:
I need Jillian Michaels to whip me into shape! I'm going to start this weekend and do the video for 30 days straight. That is how it is recommended to be used. So... that is my new goal. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went to the book club.... you may end up with some really good friends..... How did you find out about Jillian Michaels?? I'm anxious to see how you like it and whether or not you would recommend it to your mom.... or maybe you would think it would be the death of her to try it... so get on it this weekend!!! I need all the help I can get before I go to Mexico in March!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha and I went to a mother/daughter book club back when she was in her early teens. It was a very positive experience as it gave us a jumping off point to begin a dialogue on alot of subject matter. And for anyone who knows Samantha, she's not an easy one to talk and discuss. This was good for both she and I.

    There is much to be gained by these clubs - good for you Jill. I hope you continue to enjoy it and the new friends you make for many years!

    ReplyDelete