Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Ranch-O-Beans

Mmm, rancho beans. If you have even eaten at my parents' house, then you have probably tried their famous rancho beans. Delicious!

Well, actually, I hated rancho beans growing up and just started to like them over the last year. M. on the other hand is a big fan. I decided to try and make some tonight. Who knew it was so easy? They definitely don't taste as good as my brother's though (probably because I used ground turkey instead of beef).

By popular request, I present to you the not so secret recipe:

Ingredients:
1 pound of ground beef (I used turkey)
1 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cans pork and beans

Directions:
Fry ground beef, onions and salt for 20 minutes. Stir in worcestershire sauce and mustard. Mix in bowl brown sugar and ketchup, add to meat mixture. Add beans to mixture. Mix altogether and bake for 30 minutes at 250 degrees F.


Oh yes, I was quite the chef tonight and also made hummus. Don't worry, I didn't bake it - it's in the oven simply for beauty of the photo!

Lastly - The Inauguration - I feel nervous for Barack Obama. The Americans seem to be waiting on a miracle. I'm all about hope for a better future, but come on... so much pressure. Isn't it sad how Canadians pay way more attention to American politics than our own?

6 comments:

  1. I think they tasted awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look pretty darn good!! I'll like to try the turkey version sometime instead of the ground beef. You are becoming quite the chef!! Willie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't like my beans when you were growing up??? Well!!! I'm glad that we have finally won you over!! The hummus looks really good ... and healthy!! I feel the same way about President Obama.... he has a tough job ahead of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those beans - thanks for the recipe - I am definately making them this week :)

    As for Obama, I agree, I feel sorry for him. And I fear for his life - remember what happened to the last president who was adored in this fashion....

    The American propaganda machine really is annoying though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the Rancho Beans are gone now. Time to make some more =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made some M - come on down!! :)

    ReplyDelete