Friday, February 20, 2009

Superfood!

Have you ever heard of quinoa? This is supposedly how you say it: keen-wah. It's really yummy and it's a "superfood"!

I bought this at a health food store. You can probably find it somewhere much cheaper.

It looks like a grain and tastes nutty like a grain, but it's actually related to the spinach family. It's interesting that even the label says it's a grain. I want to start eating more of it because it is full of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and a bunch of other good stuff that fights off disease. You can read more about it here!

Last night I made a recipe for Black Bean Quinoa Pilaf. It's so delicious. I didn't have about half the ingredients it called for, but it still turned out well. So far I've had some for last night's dinner, today's lunch, and a little snack after school! This stuff multiples when cooked and half a cup of quinoa made way more than I expected!


This weekend I'm going to try a recipe I saw that uses quinoa as a breakfast cereal with lots of nice spices and some dried fruit. If you ever happen to try some, let me know what you think!

I'm sure my dad will be all over this stuff!

3 comments:

  1. My trainer told me all about it! I bought some, but haven't made any yet. It's supposed to be SO good for you! Maybe I'll make some this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad has been using this for quite some time.... just yesterday we were bought some regular and red ..... we find we really have to rinse it off before we use it... did you find that you have to do that also? I really like the taste and texture of it on my oat bran cereal concoction that your dad cooks up for us each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try this stuff too. I figure at the very least its one more thing I can sprinkle on yogurt.

    ReplyDelete