Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bluecchini Muffins

Last week when I was visiting my BFF we made chocolate-zucchini muffins and ohmygosh they were so good. I decided I must try to make some of my own. Instead of chocolate I used blueberries because my fridge and freezer are overflowing with them. I googled a recipe and found this one, which I pretty much followed.

Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 cups granulated Splenda (or sugar)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium zucchinis, shredded (mine equaled 400 grams)
- 1 cup blueberries
- a squeeze of lime juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another. Mix together. Bake for about 20 minutes or until your toothpick comes clean.

Nutritional Information:
This recipe made 14 muffins, each about 70 calories (17g carbs, 0.5g fat, 3.8g protein).

Compare this recipe to the wholegrain blueberry muffin at Tim Hortons (360 calories, 59g carbs, 13g fat, 5g protein) and you'll understand how healthy mine is. Granted, they turned out to be half the size of one from Timmies - but you could eat five of them for less calories. Crazy, eh?

*This doesn't mean you should eat five in one sitting though :) You'll probably want to because they're realllllllly good!

Would you like a Keiths with that muffin?

3 comments:

  1. M might like a Keiths!! They look so yummy..... put one in the freezer for me so I can taste it the next time we visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried baking with Splenda with less than tasty results - does it really work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all in the freezer now, mom. Ready to take to work (boo) for snacks.

    Marina, I don't notice a weird taste, but some people say Splenda has a horrible aftertaste? I'd use regular sugar, but I'm trying to finish off the huge bag from Costco we bought.. hmmm.. probably 4 years ago now!!

    ReplyDelete