Thursday, April 16, 2009

You Have a Nice Chagrin?

I am currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer (author of the Twilight series). I started it at the beginning of April and am still only 100 pages into it. That's unheard of for me! It's just not that spectacular. I find myself daydreaming through a lot of it, actually.

There are lots of other books I'd like to start, but I know if I put The Host down it'll be a long time before I pick it back up. Then I'd have to re-read what I've already read, etc, etc. How long do you wait to give a book a chance? I am definitely not afraid of stopping a book mid-way through, because what's the point, if you're not enjoying it?

Anyway, back to the real point of this post. As I was reading last night before bed, I came to this sentence: "The chagrin in her tone was not because I was upset, but because she did not like being wrong."

Oh no she didn't!

Stephanie Meyer LOVES the work chagrin. In her Twilight books, she uses it all the time. It was especially bad when I was reading the book aloud to M - you're much more conscious of words when you have to read each one out loud. Every time I came to that word, it was so funny, because really, who says that on a regular basis? I didn't even really know what it meant until I looked it up! Thank you dictionary.com!

And thank you, Stephenie Meyer, for increasing my vocabulary, but please, stop using that word so much! Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I give a book a year - if it's not finished - toss it. But in this case, since it's a series you will probably end up finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you feel any chagrin about not liking this book so much after enjoying the Twilight series so much? I really didn't notice any chagrin on your part when you were home for Easter.... hmmm... I should be more observant, I guess... Can you tell it's been a long day???? Get reading.... you have to give it more than 100 pages!!!

    ReplyDelete