Sunday, October 24, 2010

The City of Brotherly Love

Back in September (wow, was it really that long ago?) M and I traveled to Philadelphia for one last summer hoorah. We had airline vouchers that had to be used up by December due to this crazy incident and I like cheese, I like steak, and I like Rocky, so Philly was a quick decision!

The weather was absolutely beautiful and we did a tonne of walking around, which cancelled out the tonne of eating we did, or so I like to pretend. Of course when you visit Philly you've gotta try a cheesesteak. We headed out to the most famous cheesesteak places, Geno's and Pat's, which are right across the street from each other. Talk about competition!
The yelp reviews were a bit better for Geno's so we waited in line for maybe half an hour and ordered a "wit whiz" - cheesesteak with onions and cheese whiz. Never in real life would I eat cheese whiz, but I gotta say, it was super delicious and easily the best part of the sandwich!
After eating the cheesesteak, I felt like.. that's all? that's what all the hype is about? a sopping greasy meat sandwich? Over the remainder of our time in Philly we had waaaay better cheesesteaks at less popular places and I'd be tempted to tell any visitor not to waste their time with those two tourist traps.
And I would tell every tourist to go to Square Burger in Franklin Square and order a tastykake cake shake because it was SINFUL I tell you, SINFUL. Best milkshake ever. I don't even know what a tastykake is, except that it's incredible.
After filling our bellies we played a round of mini golf where all of the holes were Philadelphia themed. There I am in Chinatown!
And... I will continue recapping our trip in another post, once I can stop thinking about those tastykakes...

4 comments:

  1. The more I hear about Philly the more I want to go there!! The tastykakes sound deliciously sinful!! I can't wait to hear more about your trip!! I would really like to try a cheese steak!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wait.. I think we actually went to Pat's! I can see the name on the cheesesteak wrapper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad is a big Flyers fan so I imagine we'll get to Philly someday to experience some of the brotherly love, but I'll take a pass on the cheesesteak ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brotherly love...yeah right G. Now there's a concept that went out the window when you were 2 years old.

    ReplyDelete