Thursday, September 22, 2011

What Makes Me Happy #6

Time for what makes me happy, numero seis.
(go here to read round #1, #2, #3, #4, or #5)

I have a lot to make me happy these days, it's true. Here are a few random, perhaps only funny to me, things I've thought about recently that brought a smile to my face!

25) I dearly, dearly miss my Toronto friend and mentor, Patrish, who I worked with for the last four years of my teaching career. Yes, she is my mother's age but that doesn't matter one bit! We went to a reading conference together a couple of years ago and I remember her getting tired of chewing her piece of gum, so she stuck it on her shoe, like it was a completely normal thing to do (because it probably was completely normal for her). This is just how she rolls and it seriously cracks me up. She walks to the beat of her own drum, 100%.

26) Back in March, I went to a City and Colour concert and it was superb, especially when the show started with Gord Downie coming on to sing his part in Sleeping Sickness. Two great Canadian artists on stage, at the same time, for one of my favourite songs. Bliss.

27) Someone in the city of Chicago goes around to wet concrete and writes into it the word "smile". Well, this is just about the best thing ever and without fail, every time I walk past this piece of sidewalk, I do indeed smile! Good work, person. I've noticed this in two different spots so far - I wonder how many more there are?

28) Of course I had to include a picture of my babes.. Now I see where she gets the t-rex pose from! Like father like daughter?


So, please share, what's been making you happy lately?

4 comments:

  1. Funny story about the gum on the shoe, my dad used to put it behind his ear. Thanks for jarring that memory for me :)

    Its funny, when I saw little M's t-rex picture I was immediately reminded of that particular picture of M too!

    But as to what is making me happy right now. Well....what could make a person happier than becoming a nanny for the first time? Her daily pictures are the highlight of my day! And her grampie's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo what Marina said about the pictures of little M each day. I must say it doesn't take me long to remind you if you haven't sent one during the day... ha ha. I never thought about the picture of big M at your wedding but now I do see the resemblance!!

    Just being retired makes me very happy these days. Just to be able to get up and go without asking/begging my boss for the day/days off. I can march to my own beat every day!! And, I can come to Chicago to see my newest grandbaby when I start to feel the uncontrollable need to hug her little body next to me which I am feeling RIGHT NOW!!! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud when I saw the T-rex picture comparison. Then Maya saw I was laughing and she started laughing. No word of a lie. Thanks for making us laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What makes me happy right now?? Geting the chance to meet little M yesterday!! She is such a sweet, beautiful little lady :)

    ReplyDelete