Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Bacon Wrapped Goodness

For M's going away party I made a bunch of appetizers, one being bacon wrapped water chestnuts. These little guys were gone in about 10 minutes.

I got the recipe from my mom and I'm not sure where she got it, but here it is! I followed it mostly but did cut back on the sugar.

Ingredients:
- 1 large can of whole water chestnuts
- 1 package of bacon
- 1/2 cup Diana sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard

Instructions:
Cook the bacon and cut the pieces in half (or just use precooked bacon for less of a mess).

Drain and rinse the water chestnuts. Wrap bacon around water chestnuts and hold in place with a toothpick.

Combine ingredients to make sauce and pour into bottom of a dish. Bake at 300 for about half an hour.

Yum!

These are a little bit time consuming to make, but easy to prepare ahead of time if necessary!

3 comments:

  1. Oh,wow. Some family friends of ours used to throw a lot of parties when I was a kid and they ALWAYS had these! I was the little 8 year old kid who would hover over the dish and sneak as many as possible. I forgot about them until now!!! I'm making these immediately. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a water chestnut fan, but replace them with scallops and now you're talking!

    Oh, and the precooked bacon likely wouldnt work - it doesn't wrap well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked them. I always made them with the precooked bacon but I just didn't like the taste as well as the uncooked bacon. Also, it was more of a pain to make them with the precooked bacon because when you cut the bacon in half lots of time it wasn't long enough to wrap around the chestnut. I like Marina's idea of scallops too. I may try that one.

    ReplyDelete