Wednesday, May 25, 2011

When Husband's Away...

M was out of town this past weekend and I kept myself ultra busy! I often find that I'm most productive when I'm on my own because I don't want to get bored. I need to try harder to be just as productive when he's around but honestly, we make each other lazy.. or maybe he just makes me lazy, I don't really know :)

On Saturday morning I woke up bright and early and headed to a nearby church to help make sandwiches for their soup kitchen. Seven hundred sandwiches in two hours! After volunteering I picked Bama the dog up and walked to the farmer's market where I treated myself to a lemon poppy seed muffin (I cannot get enough lemon flavoured foods lately - so good) and bought a few fruits and veggies for the week. I dropped the boy off at home and caught a train downtown to get my ring appraised so that it can be insured. That's been on my to-do list for almost a year! On the way back, I got off the train before my usual stop and FINALLY did something I've been wanting to do for a while - explore a new Chicago neighbourhood! I found a blog series called "My Chicago Vacation" where the writer talks about where she would go if visiting Chicago, from the view point of a Chicagoan. I followed her Old Town plan and walked around this area all afternoon.
Old Town is quite an affluent area and I really enjoyed walking down Wells Street with it's cute shops. This is the place to go if you want to eat outside as there are at least 20 restaurant options that have patio seating. The walking only alcoves that connect streets are really quite charming and now that spring is finally here, everything is beginning to bloom!
Some of the houses are cute and quirky,
but turn onto a new street and you'll see multi-million dollars homes!
The weather was gorgeous and I got to see a new part of this amazing city. Love!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds nice!!! It's great that you aren't afraid to go exploring on your own. I can imagine that Chicago has so many different areas to see. I hope it will be as easy for you to explore when you have your baby in tow. That will be be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Its fun exploring a new city. When Brad and I were in Vancouver he had to work and I spent the days sightseeing by myself. Loved every minute of it.

    I'd love to be let loose in Chicago! You're a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you are husband-less, I want to go exploring too!! I can leave the little man home with the big man!

    ReplyDelete