Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Good Reads

I've been impressed with a few books I've read lately and thought I'd share! Finding a book you can get lost in is one of life's great pleasures, isn't it? All of these books have been recommended personally or on someone's blog and I copied the book summaries and images from goodreads.com.

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall
Summary: Meet Denver, a man raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana in the 1960s; a man who escaped, hopping a train to wander, homeless, for eighteen years on the streets of Dallas, Texas. No longer a slave, Denver's life was still hopeless-until God moved. First came a godly woman who prayed, listened, and obeyed. And then came her husband, Ron, an international arts dealer at home in a world of Armani-suited millionaires. And then they all came together...

Pictures of You by Caroline Leavitt
Summary: Two women running away from their marriages collide on a foggy highway, killing one of them. The survivor is left to pick up the pieces, not only of her own life, but also must go back and deal with the devastated husband and fragile, asthmatic son the other woman left behind. Together, they try to solve the mystery of where April was running to, and why...

Her Mother's Hope by Francine Rivers
Summary: This sweeping story explores the complicated relationships between mothers and daughters over several generations. Near the turn of the 20th century, fiery Marta leaves Switzerland determined to find life on her own terms. Her journey takes her through Europe and finally lands her with children and husband in tow in the central valley of California. Marta’s experiences convince her that only the strong survive...

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda.
M's mom recommended this book and indeed it was a good one!
Summary: On the eve of the monsoons, in a remote Indian village, Kavita gives birth to a baby girl. But in a culture that favours sons, the only way for Kavita to save her newborn daughter's life is to give her away. It is a decision that will haunt her and her husband for the rest of their lives, even after the arrival of their cherished son...

Have you read anything good lately?

4 comments:

  1. I just finished reading two books for my book club and I liked both of them. "Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral" by Kris Radish and "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay. I'm just starting the trilogy by Stieg Larson - "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and "The Girl Who Played with Fire". I'm having a hard time getting into the first book but I'm hoping as I read more I will like it more. The books you just read sound interesting. I read "Secret Daughter" and I really liked it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm glad you liked Secret Daughter Jill. I find I rarely read all winter but I'll read a half dozen books over the spring/summer months. If I find a good one I'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill for the book recommendations..I will look for them for my kindle..I agree with your mom about the dragon tattoo book, it is hard to get into and stay focused..have you read the Book of Awesome?...its very interesting and comical and a nice easy read about every day life...take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm onto reading The Kitchen House and it's quite good.

    I've added these suggested books to my list of to-reads! So very many good books out there! I can't seem to get into the dragon tattoo books either. I have all the movies on my netflix list as but for some reason I'm just not that interested.

    ReplyDelete