Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Birth Story, Part 3

Did you miss Part 1 or Part 2?

After meeting my baby girl, it was time for her to go to the nursery with her daddy and time for me to be put back together. The entire surgery took about an hour but over half of that was to close me up. It's very much a blur and seems like it took no more than five minutes before I was transferred to a new bed and sent to the recovery room. I've always wondered what it would feel like to be carried from one bed to another bed, like you see on tv, and now I know!

I was required to be in the recovery room for two hours and I watched the clock the entire time. I couldn't wait to get out of there and hold my girl! I kept telling M to go sit with her, skin to skin, because that's exactly what I would have been doing if everything went according to plan! I didn't want the poor girl to be alone in the world during her first hours.

My doula stayed with me in the recovery room, massaging my shoulder which was still in a lot of pain and helping me stay relaxed. I was given a morphine drip that I could press, which I actually forgot about until M reminded me the other day. No wonder I was so out of it and can hardly remember anything! The one thing I do remember was shivering and shaking like never before. Uncontrollable shivers, which they told me is normal, that lasted a good hour. M came to check on me a few times and show me pictures of our daughter, like the one below.
Finally, finally, finally the two hours in recovery were over and I was wheeled to my room. M brought little m in from the nursery and I got to hold her for the first time! Ahhhh! I took off her clothes and layed her on my chest for some skin to skin contact.
I loved every moment of it!

At some point I called my BFF and emailed a few people, and I apologize if I sounded crazy but I blame the drugs!
So there you have it, the story of how our little girl came into this world! Was it what I expected? No! Was it memorable? Yes! I've actually shed quite a few tears while writing these blog posts. Baby girl's birth scared the daylights out of me but it's also brought me so much joy. Half the time I'm not sure if I'm crying out of happiness or from reliving this semi-traumatizing experience!

I'm just relieved it had a happy ending :) Today is little peanut's 13th day of existence and she is the sweetest little thing!


  1. Oh... I just love the pics you posted on this blog. It brings tears to my eyes also. She is so precious. I hope she gets her birth certificate soon so she can hope over the border and visit all her relatives who are anxiously awaiting to meet her. In the meantime, give her a great big hug from her granny in PL.

  2. What fantastic pictures. And what a lucky little girl to have this blog to keep for the rest of her life. She can always look back and know how much she was wanted and loved.

    Its funny as you were relaying your experience in recovery, I was remembering thats when I was talking to M on the phone - as he was being pulled between being with his baby and being with you. The daddy has a completely different, yet similar experience - without stitches though - lol

    2 more sleeps and its my Maren time!!!

  3. amazing pictures Jilly...the second last one looks like little Maren is saying "everything is ok mommy..I'm right where I am suppose to be"....she is precious...

  4. Great story, I agree with Leah :)