Friday, December 3, 2010

Birthday Dinner #2

For birthday dinner #2 the husband and I went to Girl and the Goat. This is one of Chicago's hot new restaurants that was opened this summer by Top Chef winner, Stephanie Izard. The restaurant is loud and crowded, but has a very cool feel to it.

Our server was extremely friendly and was genuinely excited about the food. He advised us to order four dishes to share, which is exactly what we did. The menu is very interesting with lots of surprising dishes and combinations you wouldn't expect. The food selection changes often, depending on what's in season, as most of the food is bought from local farmers.

We chose to start our meal with beet bread, which as you can see below. It came with whipped goat cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.
The first dish brought out was hamachi with pork belly. Lovely.
Before visiting a restaurant I like to read yelp reviews to help me decide what to order. Loads of people were raving about the sauteed green beans in a fish sauce vinaigrette, so of course I had to try them. Wow, yum.
We also tried the lamb sausage stuffed calamari. Yes, so good.
Next up was wood oven roasted pig face. You read that correctly. The meat was very soft and really quite delicious.
And for dessert we shared date cake with marshmallow,
and apple pie in a jar- complete with a birthday candle on top!
I really enjoyed my dining experience at Girl and the Goat. I can't wait to go back and try more menu items! If only it wasn't so hard to get a reservation...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got a reservation at Girl and the Goat. When I read the reviews about this restaurant I thought it would be a great place to try. There are no restaurants near us like The Girl and the Goat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you looked so pretty. Good food obviously agrees with you :)

    ReplyDelete