Thursday, June 21, 2012

Munchkin Meals (Volume 1.)

As Little m is getting older she is also becoming pickier with what she wants to eat. I used to be able to feed her ANYTHING and it would be gone in minutes. Now, she karate chops me when she sees me coming with a spoon. She spits her purees out. Her once beloved fruits like blueberries and mangoes are tossed overboard for the doggie. Her pediatrician told me, "Food before one is just for fun." I agree, BUT things can become frustrating when the wee babe sits in her highchair screaming and swatting at the foods she used to like but no longer does, for reasons unknown. That's not fun for me or her.

What I need are ideas. It was perfect timing when Brittany at A Healthy Slice of Life came up with the Munchkin Meals link up. Mama bloggers are showing what they're feeding their babies and from this I am hoping to find several ideas for future meals!

For breakfast, I recently found Little m's new fave - pancakes! I make a big batch of wholewheat pancakes and add the frozen pureed fruit that Little m no longer wants to eat. So far I've tried blueberry and banana and both were a hit. She loves being independent and feeding herself like a big girl, so now I just give her a whole pancake instead of bite size pieces. I do my best at every meal to include some proteins and carbs and fruits or veggies, but well, it's a work in progress.
After finding out that she wasn't allergic to them, another hit at breakfast time has been eggs. I made a spinach and feta omelet for her one day, which she wasn't a huge fan of, but she devours eggs when they're hard boiled, scrambled, or fried over-medium.
Some days I feed Little m lunch but most days it's more like a snack before her afternoon nap. And it's almost always babybel cheese. She can't get enough. When she sees the little red package she can't contain her excitement. These are great as snacks on the go as well and I'll just toss one into a little cooler bag before I leave the house if I know she'll get hungry while we're out. Other favourite snacks include hummus, Aussie Bites (from Costco), and dried mango (from Trader Joe's), which is awesome because it keeps her occupied for at least 20 minutes.
For dinner, I basically feed her exactly what we are having. She loves most meats, rice, and one of her favourite dinners is chicken tortellini covered in tomato sauce, as shown below. Some of the veggies I can get her to eat are peas, broccoli, and edamame.

So there you have it, Little m's mealtime eating at 9-10 months of age! I'm lucky I have a fairly good eater!


7 comments:

  1. Sounds more like she is ready to eat with a spoon on her own J. The trick is that you need a spoon too and when she opens her mouth to eat what she has on her spoon which may be very little, you have to be ready with a big bite at the same time! You gotta be fast :)

    Soup! Any kind. Get your crock pot out and throw in everything you think she wont eat and make soup. Then add crackers to her bowl to soak up alot of the broth so that it can be eaten easily with a spoon. Both of you get your spoons ready and go.

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup's a good idea. We've given her spoons and forks to hold onto and it worked for one day, but she's just too smart and now spits stuff out that I try to slip in :)
      I'm going to try the self feeding one night soon.. when it's M's turn for bath time, heheh.

      Delete
  2. What is the recipe for the pancakes?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently had a huge fail when I tried to make pancakes from scratch but didn't have eggs on hand, so this time around I found a wholewheat mix at the grocery store and just used that. The ingredient list is very simple so I feel fine with it. I also added the frozen purees I had on hand to sneak some fruit in.

      Delete
  3. My 10 month old LOVES cheese as well. If she won't eat a meal, I always know she will at least eat some cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is by far her favourite! Sometimes I hold off on the cheese till dinner if she's having a particularly picky day because I know she will always eat it! Gotta be careful with too much cheese though. Wish I could give her more without having to worry about.. blockages :)

      Delete
  4. I think you are doing a wonderful job with all her meals. She is lucky that she has a mommy who will go the extra mile to provide good, wholesome food that isn't processed. I like Marina's idea about the soup ... it would be a great way to get different foods into Little m.
    I saw first hand how much she loves those Babybels... she can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete