Sunday, December 16, 2012

WEverb Days 2 - 6

Although very behind schedule, I'm still participating in WEverb12, which means that this blog post is made up of my responses to a series of prompts. Let's do this.

WEverb Day 2: watch [LIVE]
What movie did you see this year that you would recommend to a friend?

I'm having a really hard time remembering any great movies I've seen this year. I guess I would have to go with Ms. Katniss Everdeen and The Hunger Games. The books were awesome and I thought the movie was pretty great too. I was excited to finally see it a few months ago and I hope the next movies don't disappoint. 
(source)

WEverb Day 3: stay [LISTEN]
How did you stay in the moment this year?

Honestly, I struggled with this this year. Thanks a lot iPhone, you are such an addicting, pretty little thing. Staying in the moment is going to be a huge goal of mine in the future and while we're on an upcoming family vacation I'm going to challenge myself to go offline for an entire week. This actually makes me feel a little ill, which is disturbing and shows me just how far gone I am. It will definitely be a challenge, but I'm up for it! Also, in the new year I'm coming up with a few plans to help me stay more in the moment on a daily basis. This will include using my phone only when the bebe is asleep. 
(source)

WEverb Day 4: experiment [GROW]
What did you do in 2012 that you had never done before? Will you do it again?

This year I am pretty proud that I've put myself out there and made a good effort to meet new people. I am a naturally shy person, hate small talk, and feel so much more comfortable in a small group setting with people I've known forever. This year I've really forced myself to meet other moms and talk to my new neighbours. Of course I will do it again because sitting alone at home is not that fun. 

WEverb Day 5: fellowship [HOPE]
What community has engaged you most this year and what did you get out of your participation?

So, Chicago is a big city and bad things happen here. While we were house hunting we became interested in a home in a neighbourhood I knew nothing about. To learn more, I found a neighbourhood association group on facebook and joined it. Scarily, now I know every small and big crime that happens in my area, but the sense of community gained from this group is wonderful. Knowing that there are people who care about the community and are looking out for you is quite a nice feeling. I never felt any sense of community like this in the (much wealthier) neighbourhood I used to live in. It's great. 

WEverb Day 6: cook [LIVE]
What was your best recipe/dish of the year? Share it!

It's nothing fancy at all, but it's an incredibly tasty, quick, and delicious dinner option - found on Pinterest, of course. Here's the recipe for oven roasted peppers, onion, potatoes, and sausage. Sometimes I leave out the potatoes and I cut extra onions because Little m loves them. I don't use as much oil as the recipe calls for. Whatever you do, don't leave out the banana peppers. This recipe reminds me of something my mom used to make. Delicioso.
(source)
Okay, that's enough for tonight! Now I'm only ten days behind schedule :)

3 comments:

  1. That supper looks yummy - I vote we buy the ingredients in Arizona and you make it for us! Since you won't be online or anything ;) Crazy talk - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I'd be happy to make it! Marina, I'm having anxiety just thinking about being offline for a week! Maybe I'll have to change it to offline, except for when the babe is sleeping. haha.. so addicted..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that I read this blog. Now I know why I'm not hearing much from you while you are away....lol. I'll try not to message you much. I'm really proud of how you have met so many new friends since you have been in Chicago and you seem to have just dived into your new neighbourhood and have gotten to know so many people there. It takes a lot of guts to go out and meet people and not just stay home and feel so alone in a big city. That recipe does look yummy and it really reminded me of one that I make minus the banana peppers. I will have to try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete